Top Food Blogs

Tuesday 8 May 2012

Restaurants and Fab Finds

Last week, I had the pleasure of being invited to the soft opening of a new restaurant 414 or 4 Fourteen in Surry Hills. It has the Four in Hand and Paddington Arms boys at the helm, with Colin Fassnidge in the kitchen. It is a very cool space with a bar running through the centre, where you can sit and have a drink. Not far from the pub idea!
We didn't choose our meals, but sampled many yummy dishes. Keeping the tradition of  Four Food there was a few offal dishes on the menu. Normally not my favourite, I absolutely loved the Crumbed Pigs Tail with a Crab and Corn salad and Avocado Puree. The other entree, which I have been dreaming about, was a Pork Parfait and Quince Chutney sandwiched between a piece of crispy Tortilla on the bottom and a crispy skinned Chicken Wing on top ( just the meatiest part ) to die for! Not something most would do at home ! Mixed Grain salad was fabulous too.Mains were served in cast iron pots, centre of table to share. Desserts were gorgeous, and I am not a dessert girl. White Chocolate Sandwich with Vanilla Cucumber had us all talking. I would love to go back and try the Suckling Pig or Licorice " Beef and Bone ".
The staff were very attentive and knowledgeable. Wine list was broad, and we had some great reds! As I wasn't ordering, and by that stage I was trying to take in all the food, I can't tell you what they were. We did feel there should have been a wine under $59 on the list, however menu prices were very reasonable.

Also dined at Flying Fish, always beautiful. Love the position on the water at Jones Bay Wharf. The restaurant fit out is stunning, in a former maritime warehouse and the staff are so attentive. I had Line caught Snapper with White Sri Lankan Curry sauce, parsley mallum and date and tamarind. If you haven't been you must try it soon and watch him on TV.... Peter Kuruvita !




I found these little piping bags in Woolworths not long ago! My friends, with little girls who love making and decorating cupcakes, probably have everything associated with the art, you can buy. For those of us who haven't succumbed to the complete cake decorating set, try these. Not expensive, but you may find it's not your thing. I think it's fun, and it doesn't have to be cakes, what about canapes? Impress the guests with a very professional looking tray of canapes, mini tart shells or toasts with piped fillings . Only bound by imagination !

2 comments:

  1. Flying Fish is one of my favorite restaurants in Sydney - the standard is always exemplorary. I too have used the disposable pipping bags and the are great - the biggest advantage is ot having to wash them if you really don't feel like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried those disposable Multix piping bags, thank you so much....a great tip! I must say I always use Multix Cling
    and find it far superior to that "other well known brand " on the market. The Multix really does cling so much better.
    I really enjoy your blog...many thanks , off to try one of your receipes now.

    ReplyDelete