Top Food Blogs

Saturday 26 May 2012

Thai Salmon Cakes with Sweet Ginger and Chilli Sauce

Last year whilst staying at Peregian Beach, for our bi annual Big Chill Weekend with our Queensland friends, my gal pals and I , decided to stay on for a few extra days. Having eaten at the Spirit House at Yandina many times we were very keen to do a cooking course there. So Shelley, Angela, Fiona, Pip and I  spent the day with the Katrina Ryan, one of the cooking school chefs. She has worked alongside Neil Perry and was a fabulous teacher, we loved our day with her and came home very inspired! Make sure you do a course from the many on offer if you are having a holiday at Noosa.

We all purchased goodies from the shop after our class and I  bought the frozen curry pastes back to Sydney in a cooler bag . Delicious and so convenient, they come in individual sachets of Red, Green and Yellow pastes. This is what inspired me for the recipe. All of the ingredients I had in the pantry or fridge. Fresh fish is of course beautiful , but I was using what I had at hand.The sauce was made from a bottle of Buderim  Sweet Ginger Sauce, also from Queensland! There are many readily available chilli with ginger sauces you can substitute.



2  400 gram Tins Salmon
1 small red onion chopped
2 sachets of Spirit House Red Curry Paste or 60 grams of a bottled prepared Red Curry Paste
1 tablespoon Fish Sauce
2 tablespoons chopped coriander
2 tablespoons chopped mint
1 tablespoon chopped ginger
1 egg
 ½ cup mashed potato for binding


Remove the salmon from the tin and place into a large mixing bowl. I also remove the black skin and the tiny row of bones you will find running through the middle of the salmon
Mix all of the ingredients together and form into rissoles or small cakes, Set aside in the fridge.You may crumb them if you wish, which I do if I have crumbs handy. When ready, fry them gently each side in a shallow pan with a little rice bran oil. I like to use this as it has a high smoking point.
Serve with the sauce. I served it with light salad of greens, cherry tomatoes, toasted almonds, lots of chopped mint and coriander and very thinly sliced orange quarters. Now it is getting colder you may like vegetables and mash.


1 tablespoon Chilli sauce from a bottle
3 tablespoons Sweet Ginger Sauce 
1 tablespoon Fish Sauce 




No comments:

Post a Comment